Monday, August 24, 2009

Failed Summer Goal

My summer goal is officially a failure. My summer goal was to make and execute an exercise plan. This goal was originally created out of vain. I want to lose weight, but I honestly wanted to come up with plan that I could make a lifetime exercise plan. I am a great creature of routine, once I have my routine, I am unstopable. I actually got started really well. I was using the fitness center on base, and going to a morning class called "Cardio and Core. It was  a 5:45 class, and the added benefit of this two day a week class was that I was awake for the other five days, and would get up and exercise just because I was awake.

I went faithfully until my July trip to florida, and I just never found my motivation again once I came back. I predicted this would happen, and though there is no excuse, I can identify the facts contributing to this personal loss. Fact 1) The alarm is too simple to turn off. This factor alone will doom many goals to failure. I don't know what to do about this. In college I would put the alarm clock across the room. This  really didn't solve the problem. I was forced however to get up and turn it off eventually. Fact 2) My most successful outside motivator is sleeping somewhere else. My love for this man means that when I tell him I am doing something I feel like a failure at 5:30 in the morning when I am still in bed, and not doing what I want to be doing. This morning at 5:30 I was sleeping, thinking nothing of the man behind the curtain (for those that don't know, the the current sleeping quarters of the outside motivator are behind a 6ft long blue curtain). I was thinking that I was just so gosh darn comfortable in my bed, and slept through this final deadline to get up and get to the class on time. Fact 3) I need a better evening routine. Perhaps if I could force myself to go to bed earlier, I would get the required number of hours before the dawn. This again is partially due to the absence of my outside motivator. I am awake at night until I finally cannot keep my eyes open. This usually means I turn off the tv at about 12:30 or 1pm, and have really doomed my 5am wake-up before I tried.

I need to get down to business for my new FALL goal. I will do this. Fact 1) is within my control, and solving this problem is the key to my workout success. I do use my cell phone for an alarm, and occasionally I do leave it downstairs. This means if the alarm goes off at 4:30am, I will have to climb out of bed and walk downstairs just to turn it off. It drives me completely insane to have it going off in another room. So my plan for tomorrow is to leave the phone downstairs with alarm turned on. I appreciate any comment encouragements!

PS. I started this post at 5:52, so I am only about 15 minutes away from waking up at the last possible moment for class. I can do this!

2 comments:

  1. Wow your an inspirations, I told myself I would get up at 6am to workout today and it never happened! My goal is to workout 5 of 7 mornings .... we'll see how that goes once school starts!

    Don't beat yourself up about it, we all need our beauty sleep :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd suggest putting your alarm clock in the bathroom.. when it goes off and you get up to turn it off you'll already be.. "up". I sleep with earplugs so the phone downstairs wouldn't work for me.
    Good luck with your goals. I need to get busy as well!! Don't think of them as failures, keep your chin up and try something new ... it's an adjustment!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate comment love! Thanks for stopping by!